Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links

Braille, Wheelchair, Large Print, and Sign Language

Accessibility Services
Provided Upon Request

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

Fire Prevention By-law 35/2017

Open all | Close all

Where can I access the full text of Fire Prevention By-Law 2017?
Why change the by-law?
  • A new Fire Prevention By-law was required because the existing by-law had not had any significant amendments since 2007 and the amendments required were quite extensive.
What are the changes?
  • In short new requirements were added for food truck inspection, flame effect permits and formal requirements for storage in parking garages. The release of Sky Lanterns in the City of Winnipeg has been prohibited. Some changes were made to the label requirements for servicing labels of fire protection installations. Additional fees have been added and other fees amended.
Why were the fees removed from the by-law?
  • To permit fee changes in line with inflation to be approved by the CFO and anything above inflationary increases to be reported and reviewed by Council.
Why do I need two service person licenses?
  • The Trade license issued by an outside organization or the province to a service provider is not the same as the license that is required to work within the City of Winnipeg. Fire Prevention will examine the service providers Trade license or other credentials designating their qualifications prior to issuing a license from Fire Prevention.
What happens if I let my service person licence expire?
  • If you allow your licence to expire you cannot service or inspect the systems you are qualified to inspect in Winnipeg. If you service or inspect any systems in Winnipeg with an expired licence or without a valid licence, you could be subject upon summary conviction to a minimum fine of $500.00 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or both. To renew an expired licence you will be charged an additional fee of $50.00 over and above the licence fee.
Who can inspect fuel-fired furnaces / heating units?
  • A person with a valid Provincial Gas Fitters license is eligible to obtain a Fire Prevention issued license to do this work in the City of Winnipeg.
What kind of smoke alarms do I need in my condo?
  • If you rent your Condo to a tenant; a hardwired smoke alarm or 10 Year Lithium powered smoke alarm is required as per Part 3 of the By-Law "Smoke alarms in Residential Rental Units". If your condo is owner occupied you require a smoke alarm; however, it may not require the 10 year lithium battery or the pause/hush feature.
Can I install a storage locker in my parking garage parking spot?
  • No new storage lockers are permitted unless a qualified engineer provides a report that confirms that the storage locker complies with the Fire Prevention By-law, Fire Code and Building Code requirements including requirements for the sprinkler systems.
What do I do if someone parks in a fire lane?
  • The property owner is responsible for maintenance of the Fire Lanes and ensuring that vehicles do not park in Fire Lanes on their property. If someone parks in a fire lane the owner or the owner's representative should ensure that the driver moves the vehicle. If the vehicle is parked with no one in the car, contact 311 immediately to advise the Parking Authority of the infraction.
How often do I renew the Fire Department service person license?
  • The licence duration will depend on the duration of your Trades licence. Fire Prevention has changed the duration to reflect the duration of your Provincial Trades Licence or other designated licenses. If your Trades Licence does not expire the Fire Prevention Licence will default to expire in four years.
Why does my license number have to be included on the servicing label?
  • To allow fire inspectors to identify and confirm a valid service person's license.
How do I qualify for a Fire Extinguisher Training License?
  • WFPS will be offering a "Train the Trainer" course for fire extinguisher training. Register for the course through WFPS Public Education. The course will not be offered until the fall of 2017.
Can I have a fire pit or residential bonfire?
  • Fire Pits and bonfires are the responsibility of Community By-law Enforcement Services and regulated by the Neighbourhood Livability By-law. However, if you or a group wishes to have a bonfire on community property or for a special event; a permit is required and can be obtained by contacting Fire Prevention or attending 185 King Street, 2nd floor.
Do I need an inspection to operate a food truck in Winnipeg?
  • Yes, food trucks / food carts and commissaries are required to be inspected by the Fire Prevention Branch annually in accordance with Part 8 of this By-law.
Why are you inspecting food carts, trucks, trailers and commissaries?
  • Fire safety inspections of units that have commercial cooking equipment, fuel-fired appliances, propane or a generator pose safety risks including fire hazards. An inspection is required to ensure these units and commissaries are maintained in a safe condition.
What do I require permits for?
  • Permits are required for the display or distribution of fireworks, flame effects and pyrotechnics, as well as for open burning.
Why are sky lanterns being banned?
  • Sky lanterns create a fire hazard when released in highly populated areas. Sky lanterns have caused many structure and wildland fires and they can injure and kill wildlife, livestock and pets. It is estimated based on 2015 statistics that 29 states in the U.S. have banned sky lanterns as well as many European countries.

Last update: April 24, 2017

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.