Permits Online

Your one-stop shop to manage the permit process

Once registered, you can:

  • apply for select permits
  • save & return to partially completed applications for up to 30 days
  • view the status of permits and applications
  • submit documents
  • make payments
  • renew contactor licenses

Permit applications not available online can be submitted by email. Refer to the relevant application form for details.

Development permits

  • Single/two family dwellings & accessory structures

Building permits

  • Accessory structures
    • Deck
    • Detached garage
    • Carport
    • Other structures over 10 m2/108 sq. ft. (e.g. storage shed, gazebo, workshop)
    • Outdoor pool
    • Hot tub/spa
    • Ground solar panel
  • Alterations
  • Basement/lower level development
  • Change of use (building code)
  • Construct addition
  • Construct new
  • Demolition/removal
    • Only demolition of the residential accessory structures listed above are available to homeowners
    • A licensed demolition contractor is required for all other demolitions/removals

Trade permits

Homeowners can apply for residential trade permits where the homeowner lives in a single detached dwelling that is their primary residence, and does the work themselves.

  • Electrical (a licensed contractor is required for some work)
  • Plumbing

Application requirements

All users

Development permits

  • Multi-unit residential
  • Commercial

Building occupancy permits

  • Interim occupancy
  • Final occupancy


  • Billboard
  • Fascia
  • Free standing

Licensed contractors

Trade permits

  • Electrical
  • Electrical signs
  • Plumbing
  • Mechanical

Application requirements

Submitting documents

If your permit application requires supporting documentation (plans, elevations, etc.), refer to the relevant permit application form for requirements. Submit one PDF copy with your application package. Applications will not be processed until all required documentation is received.

If you submit revised documents during the permit process, make sure:

  • the revision is clearly identified on the drawing
  • the file is named correctly

Payment options

Credit card

  • Visa, Mastercard, American Express
  • $10,000 daily limit

Trust account

  • Customer trust accounts can be managed online. View your balance, account users, recent transactions and add funds to your account using a credit card. Payments will be processed based on current arrangements with the Zoning & Permits office and funds will not be automatically withdrawn from trust accounts.
  • If you need to make changes to your trust account, contact


  • If you are unable to pay online or with a trust account, make payment by mail, in person or by calling Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.


Contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.