Pet Peeves: Not cleaning up after your dog

Winnipeg's Responsible Pet Ownership bylaw requires owners to pick up after their dog

September 17, 2019

Poop is an inevitable part of having a pooch and the City’s Animal Services Agency is reminding owners to pick up after their dogs.

“Not only does leaving dog poop in a green space degrade that green space but can actually spread disease to other animals so it is critical we work as a team to clean up that dog poop in our community,” said Leland Gordon, Animal Services’ Chief Operating Officer.

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law requires the owner to pick up after their dog or potentially face a fine.

Before going for a walk, Gordon suggests letting your dog out to the backyard if that is an option for you. This allows the dog to do its business in a controlled environment where it could be easier to clean up.

He also recommends attaching compostable or biodegradable bags to your dog’s leash or put a few in your pocket so you are prepared during the walk. The used bags should be placed in the garbage.

Residents who have concerns should contact 311.

Animals and Insects

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.