New digital FIPPA request form launched

Form makes it easier and more accessible to request City records

May 30, 2022

FIPPA City of Winnipeg

It’s now easier to request City records under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, also commonly referred to as FIPPA.

We have launched a new digital submission form that can be filled out online. It is available in French by changing the language on the top right corner of the form. Previously, you would have to print off a form and either mail it to our Access and Privacy Office or drop it off in person.

“We know not everyone has access to a printer, and that can be a significant barrier for someone to request records,” said Denise Jones, the City’s Privacy Officer.

Jones said hard copy forms in English and French will continue to be accepted should someone prefer to submit their request using that method. If a digital form has been submitted, you do not need to submit a printed version.

The digital request form can be used if you are looking for access to an existing City record, including a police or fire report. You can request either your personal information, or general information. If you are requesting information about, or for, someone else, their consent must also be submitted.

The new digital FIPPA form is mobile friendly.
The new digital FIPPA form is mobile friendly.

Our Access and Privacy Office typically fields anywhere from 1,200 to 1,500 request each year and respond to requests within 45 calendar days of receipt.

While we’ve made the process to file a request form easier, depending on what you are looking for, that isn’t always the best way to start looking for records.

“As part of the City’s commitment to greater transparency and accountability, we make a significant amount of information available proactively,” said Jones.

Our Open Data portal is updated frequently with a wide variety of records. It’s also where we post a list of the FIPPA requests and responses since 2016.

If you have questions about the administration, operations, or finances of City services, programs, or activities, you should contact 311.

Other City Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.