5 things you need to know about advance voting

October 3, 2022

Advance voting location at Canada Life Centre.

While Election Day for the 2022 Municipal Council and School Boards Election is on October 26, you don’t have to wait until then to cast your ballot. Advance voting is on now.

Of the 216,003 people who voted in 2018, a record setting 39,840 ballots were cast in advance polls. Advance voting offers you the flexibility of voting at a time and place that is convenient for you.

We want to make sure the voting process is as smooth as possible for you. Here are a few things you should know before heading out to vote:

Am I eligible to vote?

To be eligible to vote for Mayor and Councillor in this election, you must a Canadian citizen, at least 18 years old on October 26, and an actual resident or property owner in the City of Winnipeg since April 26, 2022.

The same eligibility applies for voting for School Trustee, with the added requirement of being an actual resident in the school division ward on October 26.

Our election website has detailed information on eligibility requirements.

When can I vote?

You can vote in advance until October 21 at 4:30 p.m. Each advance voting location has its dates and times, so make sure to check when the polling station will be open and plan your schedule accordingly.

If you’d like to vote by mail, you have until October 23 at 4:30 p.m. to submit an application for a  sealed envelope ballot. Completed ballots must be returned to the Susan A. Thompson Building at 510 Main Street by October 26 at 8 p.m. and will not be accepted at any voting location.

Where do I vote?

There are 27 general advance voting locations open to the public, including at City Hall, inside select shopping malls, and at community centres in each of the 15 Council wards. Eligible voters can vote at any of the advance voting locations that works best for them, it does not have to be located in their ward.

You can search your address to find the location closest to you, or check out the complete list of advance voting locations on the election website.

What should I bring?

Voters must show proof of their name and current address. There are two options for what you can show.

You can either show one piece of government-issued identification that has your photo, name, and address or two pieces of authorized identification that together provide evidence of your name and current address. Both must have your name and at least one must have your current address. We have compiled some examples of types of ID that will be accepted.

If you received a voter’s notice, make sure to bring it with you to ensure a smooth voting experience.

Who is on the ballot?

There are 11 candidates running for Mayor, 44 total candidates for Councillor, and more than 100 total candidates for School Trustee. The list of nominated candidates for Mayor, Councillor, and School Trustee is shown in the order the names will appear on the ballot.

If you are not able to vote in advance, your next opportunity will be on election day, October 26. Polls will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Don’t forget to bring your voter’s notice and ID!

Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Other City Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.