How can I help you? What we’re doing to remove accessibility barriers

All City employees required to take Accessible Customer Service training

May 30, 2022

Icons of accessibility barriers customers may face
Icons of accessibility barriers customers may face

We want all residents to be able to access our services and are working towards removing any barriers they may face. One of the ways we are doing this is by requiring all of our employees to take Accessible Customer Service training as soon as is practical after being hired or assigned duties.

The online training looks at how employees should interact and communicate with people who may face barriers, how to use any equipment or assistive devices that may be available, and what to do if a person disabled by a particular barrier is having difficultly accessing a good or service.

“We want to make sure everyone has the same opportunity to access goods or services, and this also means treating people with respect, being patient, and not making assumptions about someone’s ability,” said Susanne Dewey Povoledo, the City’s Universal Design Coordinator.

In addition to this training, we have also put together several resources for our employees to help them create more accessible documents which incorporate elements such as meaningful hyperlinks, alternate text to images, and using colour and contrast effectively. Guidance on using respectful terminology, welcoming service animals, and how to meet communications needs is also available to our employees to regularly review.

We continue working towards making Winnipeg accessible to all residents. Recently, we launched Winnipeg WAV. It is a centralized dispatch system and call centre that can be used to secure a wheelchair accessible vehicle in Winnipeg. It can be reached through a mobile app or by calling 204-986-4928.

We can all do our part to make Winnipeg more accessible and if you encounter any accessibility barriers, please let us know by reporting them to 311 so we can investigate and make any necessary changes.

Originally posted on May 31, 2021

Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Other City Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.