How to reduce the amount of waste you create this holiday season

December 14, 2021

Consider wrapping a gift in material, or another sustainable option.

By choosing a sustainability-friendly options this holiday season, you’ll be reducing the amount of waste you create and that’s also a gift you’re giving the environment.


When you are lighting a tree or decorating the house, choose energy-efficient LED lights. Not only are they shatterproof, they can use up to 90 percent less electricity and even last longer. Reusing decorations each year is another option to reduce costs and waste.


For people who love the outdoors or being active, why not give them the gift of an outdoor adventure. Meet up with a friend or loved one and explore our nature trails, parks, and outdoor amenities. Not only will you be able to enjoy the company of others, you’ll get some fresh air and exercise. It’s a great alternative to material gifts.

Another way to reduce waste this holiday season is to consider gifting an experience like dance classes, museum passes, or gift cards to local restaurants. Your gifts can support local events and businesses at the same time as being sustainable.


Unfortunately, most wrapping paper is not recyclable because of how it’s made. So if you do have gifts to give that need to be wrapped, consider gift bags and make sure to keep the ones you receive so you have them for next year. Another idea is to wrap a gift with another gift, such as a towel, blanket, or clothing.

Cleaning up

When it comes to clean up time, remember to recycle your cardboard boxes and other acceptable materials. Avoid nesting your items because that makes it difficult to recycle different materials. If you have a lot of items that don’t fit in your blue cart, you can bring it to our 4R Winnipeg Depots. They also accept old electronics.

If you choose to have a real Christmas tree, make sure to bring it to one of our Let’s Chip In Depots so it can be recycled and turned into woodchips. The depots will be operating from December 27, 2021 to January 31, 2022.

Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Parks, Trees and the Environment Water and Waste

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.