Preparing for spring a significant job

Crews are busy filling potholes and clearing catch basins

Crews are busy filling potholes, making sandbags, and clearing catch basins.

The snow melt brings a busy time of year for our crews. With temperatures changing from warm during the day to cooler at night, a variety of activities are ongoing to ensure street maintenance and flood preparation work is done.


Potholes are starting to appear on city streets because of the temperature changes.

Crews are working to repair those potholes as quick as possible. A cold mix compound is being used that works best in cold, wet conditions.

These patches are only temporary until hot asphalt can be used beginning in May.

It is important for residents to report any potholes by contacting 311 or using our easy online form.

Frozen Catch basins

The spring melt can cause water to pool in streets and back lanes. This is because a nearby catch basin is blocked by ice.

When that happens, crews will use a steaming machine to thaw the ice and allow for the water to properly drain. The process only takes a few minutes.

You can report a frozen catch basin by contacting 311 or using our easy online form.

Ditch Clearing

Crews are also working to improve drainage along the ditches in Winnipeg.

Rubber tire excavators are used to clear the the snow and ice from the ditches with steaming crews used to melt the ice in the culverts.

This helps prevent overland flooding on properties.

Sanding and Salting Streets

The fluctuating temperature also has crews working to improve traction on the roadways.

When the temperature is below -7°C, sand is used on the streets. If is warmer than -7°C, crews apply salt instead.

Contact 311 if you encounter a roadway that could use sand or salt so crews are aware and can address it. You can also quickly let us know through our online reporting form.


Sandbags are now available to residents who may be expecting or experiencing overland flooding at:

Residents should bring ID showing they live in Winnipeg.

Videos filmed prior to COVID-19

Last updated on March 15, 2022

Transportation and Streets

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.