Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service receives Superior Tanker Shuttle Service accreditation

Service used in areas of Winnipeg without fire hydrants

February 19, 2021

WFPS Superior Tanker Shuttle Service

When it comes to fighting most fires, access to water is imperative. For areas of the city that are not serviced by fire hydrants, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) relies on trucking water in.

The process was put to the test in August 2020, when the WFPS applied for Superior Tanker Shuttle Service accreditation.

The WFPS successfully proved it could provide an adequate flow of water over a specific duration of time and received the certification from the Fire Underwriters Survey. This is for particular areas in south Winnipeg which fall outside the municipal water district but within a certain distance from WFPS Station 23 at 880 Dalhousie Drive and Station 26 at 1525 Dakota Street.

“In a fire, seconds matter and quick access to water is a necessity,” said Scott Wilkinson, Project Manager, Training and Safety Equipment with the WFPS.

Portable tanks are set up at a fire scene to hold the water in areas without fire hydrants. The WFPS uses water tanker trucks, which can carry more than 13,000 litres of water each, to shuttle water from the closest water supply or hydrant to the portable tanks. Fire engines then draw water from the portable tanks to fight the fire.

Wilkinson said it can take tens of thousands of litres of water to extinguish a well-involved house fire.

“Our members regularly train on the use of the tankers and the set-up of the portable tanks to ensure they’re prepared to deploy as quickly as possible if needed,” he explained.

The Homeowners Superior Tanker Shuttle Service accreditation also means property owners within the specific areas may be eligible for improved insurance premiums as the proximity to a fire hydrant and fire station are factors in determining the price of an insurance policy.

In addition to fighting structure fires outside of the municipal water district, the WFPS tankers are also used to fight wildland, grass and brush fires within Winnipeg.

Celebrating City Employees Emergency and Safety Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Water and Waste

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.