Arson prevention tips for residents

Spring brings a spike in purposely set fires in Winnipeg

May 5, 2022

On top of warmer weather, spring also brings an increase in the number of fires in the city.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service finds during the month of May is also when the amount of arsons peak.

These are fires set to readily available combustible materials, according to Scott Wilkinson, Assistant Chief of Community Risk Reduction for the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

That is why Wilkinson said it is important for residents to take a few simple steps to protect themselves and their property from purposely set fires.

“Keep garbage, yard waste, or bulky waste, such as old furniture, and yard waste away from your home, garage, and fence,” he said, adding residents can schedule a bulky waste pickup online or by contacting 311.

Residents should not store their yard waste next to any buildings or fences.

Residents should not store their yard waste next to any buildings or fences.

Residents should only put their garbage and recycling carts as well as yard waste out on their collection day. This helps to eliminate potential fire hazards.

Additional fire prevention tips include:

  • Store flammable material safely
  • Keep shrubs and trees near buildings trimmed and watered and ensure they are regularly cleared of dead plant matter
  • Do not extinguish cigars or cigarettes in potted plants. Potting soil and peat moss can be combustible
  • Keep doors and windows secured. Don't use double-keyed locks or bars on bedroom windows that could trap a person inside during a fire
  • Use motion-activated lights to brighten the outside of your home or garage

Wilkinson urged residents about the importance of having a home escape plan in the event a fire occurs on your property.

“Make sure to not only develop the plan, but to regularly review and practice it with your family,” he said.

Residents can report fire hazards, including abandoned bulky waste, by contacting 311.

Originally posted on May 22, 2019

Emergency and Safety Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Water and Waste

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.