Your location is the most important thing to know when calling 911

July 3, 2020

Your location is the most important thing to know when calling 911

As you travel around Winnipeg, it’s important to know where you are at all times in the event you, or someone with you, require emergency assistance.

“Knowing your location can be the most important thing to have on hand when calling 911,” said Tammy Jewell, manager of the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service 911 Communications Centre.

She added that it’s a widely accepted myth that 911 officers can trace a caller’s exact locations via cellphone GPS systems, but that isn’t exactly the case.

“While 911 infrastructure and technology are evolving, the system’s capabilities are not there yet,” explained Jewell.

Parents are encouraged to take the time to remind their children of their address and phone number in case they have to call 911 on their own. The phone number is needed in case the call becomes disconnected.

Jewell also said residents should always try to remain calm when calling 911 and try to answer all questions. It’s always best if the person calling 911 is with the person needing help. She said sometimes relatives will call from a different location which makes it difficult to get accurate information.

When you phone 911, the call is initially answered by the Winnipeg Police Service and is then triaged to determine the best emergency service to respond.

Depending on the emergency, the call will either be transferred to the WFPS Communications Centre or stay with police. If the call is transferred to the WFPS Communications Centre, employees there will continue to ask questions so the best help can be dispatched.

“When you call, you will speak with a highly-trained telecommunicator skilled in medical dispatching and fire dispatching protocols,” said Christian Schmidt, WFPS Deputy Chief of Operations and Communications. “They aren’t seen by members of the public but the work they do and the comfort they provide to callers is imperative.”

Emergency and Safety

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.