What to do if you have frozen water pipes

Property owners should take steps to prevent internal pipes from freezing

December 13, 2019

With extreme cold, there is the risk of unprotected water pipes freezing in Winnipeg. A few simple steps can help reduce the risk you could experience this.

Property owners are urged to make sure water pipes are insulated, this includes pipes in garages and crawlspaces. Keep cabinet doors open to allow heat to get to the pipes if they aren’t insulated. It is recommended to set the temperature where pipes are to at least 12°C.

“Every year the City receives reports of frozen water pipes,” said Zeljko Bodiroga, Water Distribution Engineer with the Water & Waste Department.

Property owners are responsible for thawing internal plumbing as well as the portion of the water pipe on their property, from the house to the shut-off valve.

“If the City’s portion of the underground water pipe is frozen, City crews will thaw it at no cost to you,” said Bodiroga.

City of Winnipeg crews will use electrical current to thaw pipes that have frozen on the City side.

City of Winnipeg crews will use electrical current to thaw pipes that have frozen on the City side.

Crews will use a DBH machine, which uses electrical current, to thaw City pipes.

While it is an inconvenience to not have water, make sure to be safe when attempting to thaw the internal pipes.

If you can find where the pipe has frozen, you can wrap warm, not hot or boiling, towels around it. You want to make sure to apply slow, even heat. A licensed plumber can also help.

Do not run your water as a preventative measure unless you've been notified by the City. Otherwise, you would be billed for the full amount of the water and sewer charges.

Originally posted on February 15, 2019

Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Water and Waste

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.