Holiday safety tips to reduce your risk of a fire

December 14, 2018

During the busy holiday season, it is important to take a few minutes to look around your home and eliminate fire risks.

Lights and decorations

Before putting up any lights, double check that the lights, sockets, wires and plugs you’re using are not damaged.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) wants to remind residents to make sure to only use indoor lights inside and outdoor ones outside. Make sure the lights are Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved.

While many decorations need to be plugged in, you don’t want to overload your electrical outlets.

Turn off your lights when you are going to sleep or leaving your home.

Try to use non-flammable decorations and keep them away from head sources including vents and fireplaces.


Candles can give your home a festive feel, but you should never burn them unattended or in a drafty area.

When you do light candles, make sure to keep them away from any decorations, Christmas trees and out of reach of children.

The WFPS recommends trimming the wick before lighting the candle.

When storing them, keep candles in a cool, dark, and dry place. It is suggested to keep them in the refrigerator to make them burn slower and more evenly.

Christmas trees

If you are getting a real Christmas tree, make sure to pick one that is fresh with green needles. The tree trunk should be sticky to the touch. If you shake the tree and you notice a lot of needles falling off, the tree has probably dried out and should not be brought indoors.

When you put it up, the WFPS recommends it should be at least three feet away from all heat sources. You shouldn’t block any exits with the tree either.

Make sure to water the tree daily. If you notice the tree drying up and loosing needles quickly, take it out of the home as it is a fire risk.

Emergency and Safety

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.