Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Proper disposal and storage methods for elm wood

Pruning of elm trees is banned from April 1 – July 31

May 20, 2020

With the October 2019 storm, residents may have more tree debris around their home than usual. It’s important for resident to know how to properly care any elm trees or wood on their property.

“The storage of elm wood in Manitoba is prohibited by the Forest Health Protection Act, unless it has been properly treated,” said Martha Barwinsky, City Forester, adding this is in effect to try to minimize the impact of Dutch Elm Disease.

Barwinsky said residents can dispose of elm wood by taking it to the Brady Road Resource Management Facility or another 4R Winnipeg Depot, chipping the wood to small pieces, or burning the wood on site if you obtain an Open Air Fire Permit from the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service. Residents need to follow all by-laws in relation to burning. This includes never having a fire if wind speeds are greater than 25 km/hr, even if they have a permit.

“It is illegal to transport elm wood for any reason other than disposing of it at an approved disposal site like Brady,” she said.

Crews remove a Dutch elm disease infected tree.
Crews remove a Dutch elm disease infected tree.

Urban Forestry Branch surveillance teams will be visiting private yards to survey for elm firewood and other elm wood debris to make sure residents are disposing of it properly. The City started this year’s program in April, a few weeks earlier than normal, because of the anticipated larger volume of firewood piles being stored as a result of the October storm.

 “Also important to know is that the elm tree pruning ban is now in effect as freshly-cut branches attract elm bark beetles which can carry the Dutch Elm Disease fungus to healthy elms,” said Barwinsky.

If you are unsure of the type of wood stored on your property, you can request an inspection by contacting 311.

Animals and Insects Homeowner, Renter and Business Information Parks, Trees and the Environment

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.