Water treatment change aiming to reduce discoloured water events

New coagulant being used by end of 2018

November 16, 2018

In an effort to reduce the number of discoloured water occurrences, the City of Winnipeg is changing a step in the water treatment process.

Starting in fall 2018, the coagulant being used is going to be switched from ferric chloride to ferric sulphate. A coagulant helps particles in the water stick together so they are easier to remove during water treatment.

In 2010, the City noticed a spike in the number of discoloured water reports. Discoloured water is classified as water observed to be yellow, brown or black in colour. There were 2,412 discoloured water service requests that year. That was an increase of 1,527 from the previous year.

A consultant was brought in to look into the increase and determined manganese levels were the main reason behind the increase in discoloured water events.

“The existing coagulant, ferric chloride, is the primary source of manganese in our water system,” Shanks said. “Switching products will reduce the levels.”

The change in coagulant is the final outstanding recommendation from the consultant’s report.

Before the coagulant could be changed to ferric sulphate, the product had to be thoroughly tested. The City constructed a pilot plant, essentially a small scale water treatment plant, to put the product to work under actual conditions. This was built within the existing water treatment plant located at Deacon Reservoir.

green water treatment pipe Water treatment pipes Water treatment tank

“Ferric Sulphate has been thoroughly tested for more than a year with positive results,” Shanks said. “The full change to the new coagulant is anticipated to be completed by the end of 2018.”

Shanks emphasizes it will be difficult to predict how long it could take before there is a major reduction in discoloured water events. He anticipates the number of reported to decline in 2019 compared to previous years.

He added discoloured water could continue to be seen as a result of water main breaks and changes in water flow as a result of fire hydrant usage.

If you experience discoloured water, it is important to contact 311 to report it.

Water and Waste Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.