Public Works, Winnipeg Police Service receive SAFE Work certification

Work is underway to have all City departments SAFE Work Certified

April 28, 2022

SAFE Work Certification Winnipeg

As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, we are continuing to work towards getting all of our workplaces SAFE Work Certified. In the past year, we are pleased to have added the Public Works Department and the Winnipeg Police Service to the list of workplaces to have received this important certification.

“Everyone is entitled to a safe workplace and the SAFE Work certification process really recognizes the comprehensive safe work procedures we already have in place,” said Kent Blackmon, Organizational Safety Services Manager.

Our Community Services Department, Fleet Management Agency, Planning, Property & Development Department, Water and Waste Department’s Water Services Division (Water Distribution), Solid Waste Division, South End Treatment Plant, West End Treatment Plant, and Local Sewer workplaces, as well as Winnipeg Transit had previously  been SAFE Work Certified. 

“The City of Winnipeg has become one of the largest aggregates of SAFE Work Certified workplaces in the province and we are proud to be a champion for Manitoba’s safety and health certification standard,” said Blackmon, adding that the process is well underway to have the remaining departments and workplaces certified.

Winnipeg Transit became SAFE Work Certified in 2021.
Winnipeg Transit became SAFE Work Certified in 2021.

Our commitment to the certification program began on the 2018 National Day of Mourning. We  recognize the day annually on April 28. It is an opportunity to formally recognize workers who have been injured or killed in the workplace as well as workers who have become ill as a result of their work, as well as to share our commitment to eliminate workplace illness and injury.

SAFE Work Certified is the standard for safety and health certification programs in Manitoba and is offered by industry-based safety programs and associations. Certification programs are offered to help reduce workplace injuries and illnesses as well as promote a culture of safety in Manitoba.

Celebrating City Employees Emergency and Safety Other City Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.