Is wrapping paper recyclable?

A look at holiday recycling misconceptions

December 20, 2018

The holiday season typically means the City of Winnipeg will see an increase in the amount of garbage and recycling collected but the materials aren’t always put in the correct bins.

One of the biggest misconceptions around holiday recycling is what to do with wrapping paper.

“It unfortunately has to go in the garbage,” said Mark Kinsley, Supervisor of Waste Diversion. “The dyes can create a lot of problems and there are so many kinds.”

Despite being called paper, Kinsley said wrapping paper is made from different materials including foil or plastic.

It is the same for greeting cards. Sparkles, foam and sticker-type materials all make the paper unable to be recycled.

If your holiday plans include going to the drive thru for a coffee or tea, the disposable cup the drink comes in is not recyclable.

“It has to do with the coating on the cups and the dyes in the paper,” said Kinsley. “The lids aren’t detected by the new technology.”

It is a common misconception the disposable cup lids can be recycled because they often have the recycling symbol on them.

“Even if the items have the recycling symbol on them, it doesn’t mean they are acceptable in Winnipeg’s program,” said Kinsley. “That is why it is so important to check the acceptable list to find out what items are.”

Kinsley added to make sure not to put recyclable items in plastic bags before putting them in the blue carts. The bag, and everything in it, will be thrown into the garbage once it reaches the sorting facility.

Plastic bags are also not recyclable through your blue carts. Instead, they should be reused for shopping, household garbage or pet waste, or  returned to grocery stores that participate in plastic bag recycling programs.

You should also avoid nesting your recyclables. That means putting recyclables with different material types all in the same container and then putting the one container in your cart. For example, placing cans inside boxes. The items won’t be able to be recycled because items have to be sorted by material type. That isn’t possible if the items are nested.

Water and Waste

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.