Fixing household water leaks can save you water and money

Remember to check for household water leaks regularly

March 17, 2022

Water conservation Winnipeg

No one wants to pay for something they don’t use. That’s why it is important for residents to check for water leaks in their home.

“An average home can waste more than 37,000 litres of water every year due to household water leaks,” said Rob Carroll , Acting Branch Head of Water Planning with the City of Winnipeg.

Even the smallest water leak has the potential of causing a large utility bill. A leak of roughly 1/16 of an inch, about half the size of a pencil eraser, can cost $14 per day. If not fixed within a year, that water leak can cost $5,110.

“While an unaddressed water leak can be a costly problem, typically the fix can be relatively inexpensive,” said Carroll. “It is also easy to check your toilet for leaks.”

Residents can see if their toilet is leaking by:

  • Putting a few drops of food colouring into the toilet tank
  • Waiting 15 minutes
  • Checking if the water in the toilet bowl has changed colour

If the water has changed colour then the toilet is leaking. The most common cause of a leaking toilet is a worn out flapper valve.

Dripping faucets are another common source of water leaks. In some cases, fixing them can be as easy as tightening the taps. Plumbers can also assist in fixing any water leaks.

Since utility bills are sent out every three months, Carroll suggests residents use that as their reminder to check for leaks.

You can also use your water meter to help you check if there are any leaks in your home by seeing if the dial moves when you don’t use any water.

Checking your water meter regularly is an easy way to see if there might be a water leak.

Checking your water meter regularly is an easy way to see if there might be a water leak.

If you are looking to reduce your home’s water consumption, consider replacing appliances and fixtures when they wear out with ones featuring EnergyStar or WaterSense labels.

Homeowners can log into the MyUtility portal to view their consumption history. The average daily billed consumption information can help homeowners with budgeting and with anticipating spikes in water usage throughout the year.

Originally posted on March 18, 2019

Water and Waste Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.