Water main flushing program helps preserve water quality

Residents will be notified before crews are on their street

May 14, 2019

It’s using water to help keep water clear. The City’s annual water main flushing program kicks off in May.

“Water is forced through the water mains and out of hydrants at a high speed which scours and flushes the mains,” said Zeljko Bodiroga, Water Distribution Engineer with the Water & Waste Department.

The hydrant is turned off once water samples come back clear. The whole process takes between 30 to 60 minutes and doesn’t involve turning the water service off to your home.

Crews are scheduled to work every day the summer to flush the water mains that run under the streets carrying water from the pumping stations to homes. There are more than 2,600 kilometres of water mains under Winnipeg streets.

Crews take samples to test the water during the process.

Crews take samples to test the water during the process.

“Crews also use this as an opportunity to test the water system valves and hydrants to ensure everything is working properly,” said Bodiroga.

Residents will receive a notice up to four days in advance to let them know crews will be on their street to flush water mains. You can also check the City’s website to see where the work is scheduled to be done.

Typically flushing happens without discoloured water occurring. In the rare event this happens, please follow these steps:

  • Stop using your water in order to prevent sediment from entering the pipes in your home.
  • Wait a few minutes.
  • Turn on the cold water tap and let the water run for a few minutes.
  • Then, collect some water in a light-coloured cup or container. If water is clear, you can use your water.
  • If it is not clear, wait 30 minutes, check the water again. If your water is still discoloured after two to three hours, contact 311.
  • Please do not use any hot water or filtered taps before you are sure your water is clear.

Water and Waste Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.