What happens after all the yard waste is collected?

A look behind the scenes at how the City recycles yard waste

November 26, 2018

The yard waste collected curbside might start out as leaves and branches, but it is eventually turned into compost.

All the yard waste collected throughout Winnipeg and at the 4R Depots ends up being piled into long rows, known as windrows, at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility to be composted.

“There is a process everything goes through,” said Mark Kinsley, Waste Diversion Supervisor.

Yard waste is brought to the Brady Road Resource Management Facility Compost at various stages at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility A large machine is used to turn the compost The compost is sifted to remove any large materials The finished compost product

The material is put through a series of temperature and moisture content testing as well as sprayed with water to help the composting process. A large machine then regularly drives over the windrows to turn the compost.

It takes between eight to 12 weeks for the curing process to take place.

When the compost is ready, it is used on site at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility for landscaping and in City parks.

“We are also able to sell it to soil manufacturers where they will combine it and use it as an enrichment additive,” said Kinsley.

The City of Winnipeg introduced curbside yard waste collection in 2012. Kinsley said Winnipeggers have embraced the service.

“We appreciate everyone’s participation in the program,” he said.

In 2017, 31,309 tonnes of yard waste was diverted from the landfill. Of that, 21,925 tonnes were picked up at the curb and the remaining 3,284 tonnes was dropped off at the 4R Winnipeg Depots.

While yard waste is collected at the curb from April to November, it can be brought to any of the three 4R Winnipeg Depots to be composted.

Parks, Trees and the Environment Water and Waste Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.