Be prepared for an emergency

How to build a 72 hour kit

May 4, 2018

If a natural disaster were to hit Winnipeg, would you be prepared? While no one wants to deal with a potential emergency, it is important to be prepared if one happens.

“You might not have access to water or electricity in the event of a natural disaster,” Jay Shaw, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Assistant Chief of Emergency Management, said.

That’s why you should having a 72 hour emergency kit at home. It will allow you to be self-sufficient.

“Winnipeg has fantastic first responders however during a widespread emergency, they may not be able to get to you immediately,” Shaw said.

You could buy the kit through Red Cross or Salvation Army’s website or in person at stores around the city. The price ranges from around $50 to $100 for a one person kit.

It is also relatively inexpensive to build your own, especially since you likely already have many of the items.

Here is what every kit should have:

  • Water (Two litres per person per day for three days)
  • Non-perishable food including canned goods, energy bars and dried food.
  • Can opener
  • Flashlight
  • Candles
  • Waterproof matches
  • Batteries
  • Radio, either wind-up or battery powered
  • First aid kit
  • Sanitation supplies
  • Small tools
  • Charging cables for electronic devices
  • Extra keys for your home and vehicle
  • Cash in the form of small bills and change
  • A change of clothes
  • Important personal documents

You can then tailor your kit depending on your personal situation.

Here are a few more items you should consider adding:

  • Prescription medicine
  • Infant formula
  • Diapers
  • Toys or books
  • Equipment for people with disabilities
  • Pet food and water
  • Bug spray
  • Blankets
  • Garbage bags
  • Duct tape
  • A whistle
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Toiletries
  • Small tools
  • Small fuel operated stove and fuel

Where you store the kit is just as important as having one.

“Make sure to keep it somewhere easily accessible so you can find it fast,” Shaw said.

More information about how to prepare for an emergency in the City of Winnipeg.

Emergency and Safety

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.