Local artist donates mural to Animal Services

Artwork one of many pieces used to brighten up the space

September 3, 2019

Local artist Emily Marcial has designed and painted a new mural for the Animal Services lobby.

Local artist Emily Marcial has designed and painted a new mural for the Animal Services lobby.

Visitors to the City’s Animal Services Agency will notice a new mural decorating the walls of the main lobby.

It was designed by Emily Marcial, a local artist, who donated more than a week of her time to paint it. She ended up taking on the project after seeing a post on social media. 

“I saw Animal Services was looking for donations for specific things and art was one of them,” she said.

Marcial painted a smaller piece which now hangs in a wellness room and was then asked about doing the mural.

It took Emily Marcial just over a week to finish the mural.

It took Emily Marcial just over a week to finish the mural.

“I had never done a mural before and to think it will be around for a long time is really wild,” she said.

The colourful piece incorporates elements from nature and features several animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, and a coyote.

Marcial wants the mural to convey the message people need to care and nurture the world in hopes of making it a better place for everyone.

“I wanted it to show we are all sharing this space,” she said

This is the third mural donated to Animal Services in recent years. The artist of each one donated their time and Animal Services provided the paint.

“One of the ways we make the space a more positive environment for employees and volunteers is by adding art to the facility,” said Leland Gordon, Animal Services’ Chief Operating Officer.

Gordon said the facility’s walls are filling up, and while he isn’t looking for another mural artist at this time, there are other ways people can help support Animal Services.

“People can volunteer their time here and we have a flexible program to allow them to do that,” he said. “We also have a wish list on our website that describes all the different donation opportunities someone can make.”

Animals and Insects Other City Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.