Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

Victoria Day – Monday, May 20. View holiday hours for City of Winnipeg facilities and services.

What you need to know about the Residential Parking Ban

After a significant snowfall, snow clearing on residential streets may be required. When this happens, we will issue a Residential Parking Ban.

"By restricting parking on the residential street, crews are able to more effectively clear the snow because there are no vehicles to maneuver around," said Michael Cantor, Manager of Streets Maintenance with the City of Winnipeg.

There are a few key things residents should be aware of in the event a Residential Parking Ban is put in place.

Know Your Zone

The residential streets in the City of Winnipeg are divided into zones named after letters in the alphabet. Zones are grouped together and then scheduled for clearing in 12 hour windows.

It is important residents know what zone they live in, work in, or are visiting.

You can find out what zone you live in on our website, downloading the Know Your Zone app, or by contacting 311.

Residents should confirm their zone every winter as it is possible some letters could change.

Know Your Zone App

The Know Your Zone mobile app gives Winnipeggers easy access for up-to-date information about the snow clearing operation. 

The app uses GPS capabilities on the smart phone to show what the snow zone associated to that location as well as the snow clearing schedule and colour coded maps.

If you save your addresses as favourites within the app you can receive push notification when a residential parking ban is declared for those locations.

You can also find out if a Residential Parking Ban has been called and the plowing schedule by checking our website, contacting 311, signing up for email notifications as well as following the City’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Where To Park

When a Residential Parking Ban is in place, parking is restricted on residential streets for a 12 hour window. Residents are encouraged to find alternate parking arrangements during this time.

Vehicles parked in violation of the Residential Parking Ban may receive a $150 ticket. The ticket is reduced to $112.50 if paid early.

The vehicle may also be towed to a nearby street that is not scheduled to be plowed, or has already been cleared.

If The Street Wasn’t Cleared

If your residential street wasn’t plowed, please wait until the 12-hour window specified for your zone has passed before contacting 311 to report it. The easiest option to report a missed street is by completing this online form.

It is possible that your snow zone may need to be scheduled for more than a single 12-hour shift. This could occur when the snow clearing operation progress is delayed due to heavy accumulations of snow and ice or when plowing is required during extreme cold temperatures.

Please Be Careful

More than 300 large pieces of equipment are used to clear our streets during the winter. Motorists should slow down when encountering the trucks and heavy equipment and give them plenty of space as well as make sure to drive to the conditions.

Originally posted on January 8, 2019

Transportation and Streets Emergency and Safety Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.