Pet Peeves: Off-leash etiquette

Dogs can only run off-leash in designated areas

October 28, 2019

Dog owners should be aware of where they are letting their pets run off-leash within Winnipeg or they could face a fine.

“There are only certain places in Winnipeg that you can legally run your dog off leash,” said Leland Gordon, Animal Services’ Chief Operating Officer.

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law outlines that owners are only allowed to have their dog off-leash on their own property, someone else’s property with their permission, or one of the City’s off-leash dog parks.

“If you decided for whatever reason to run your dog off-leash in an on-leash area, you could face a fine for that,” said Gordon.

Off-leash dog parks can be very busy with owners and their pets. Gordon cautions owners of skittish or aggressive dogs before bringing their pooches to the park.

Owners are also reminded it is their responsibility to pick up after their pet.

Residents who have concerns about dogs being off-leash or are looking for additional information on off-leash parks should contact 311.

Animals and Insects

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.