Firing up the grill? 5 Tips to make sure to do it safely

July 24, 2020

Chicken cooking on a grill

Summer is barbecue season, but before you fire up the grill, there are a few easy things you should do to make sure you don’t end up having to call the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS).

Check the connections

You want to make sure to check all connections for your barbecue to ensure they’re tight and there are no leaks in the hose where gas can escape.

The WFPS suggests an easy way to do this is with a mixture of soap and water. You can apply the mixture of to all connections, hoses, and also to the gas cylinder head. You will know if you have a leak if you see bubbles starting to form or grow rapidly. You will want to tighten the connections or have the defective parts replaced by a trained professional.

Light it carefully

If you turn on the gas with the lid closed, the gas can start building up inside and lead to a fire. Make sure to keep the lid open when lighting it.

Only use the spark igniter button or a barbecue lighter to light the grill. You should never hold a match or cigarette lighter over the grill when the propane is on. This could lead to you burning your hand.

Don’t walk away

As with all types of cooking, you never want to leave your grill unattended. Make sure to keep children and pets far away.  

If you smell propane when lighting your barbecue or cooking, turn off the grill immediately and close the tank. If the smell persists, call 911.

Refill your propane properly

If you need to get a propane refill, make sure to keep your tank upright while transporting it and plan to go directly to the refill station and back home.

The tank should have a safety plug and never be left in a closed compartment. It’s also a good idea to keep a window open while driving.

Only use outdoors

Propane barbecues of any size should never be used indoors or in an enclosed space because they produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. Only use your barbecue outside in a well-ventilated area, spaced apart from any structures, deck railings, fences, overhanging trees, awnings, or eaves troughs.

Emergency and Safety Homeowner, Renter and Business Information

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.