Have a pool? Make sure to drain it properly this fall

Failing to follow the Sewer By-Law could result in a fine

September 18, 2019

Have a pool? Make sure to drain it properly this fall

Credit: ID 135627136 © Zwawol | Dreamstime.com

As home owners begin to get their properties ready for winter, pool owners are reminded to take all the necessary steps to ensure it is drained properly. The City’s Sewer By-Law regulates the drainage of swimming pools, wading pools, hot tubs, and spas.

It is against the bylaw to drain pool water into a manhole, onto a neighbouring property, sidewalk, or into a waterway, such as retention ponds or creeks.

Pool water can be drained into your home’s wastewater sewer (not the sump pit), or onto your lawn. The water must remain on your property until it evaporates or soaks into the ground. Before doing this, make sure to let your pool sit for a week or longer without adding chemicals. This allows the chlorine in the water to break down to a less harmful level.

“The water should then be drained slowly so that it is absorbed and does not pond,” said Glen Hagen, Industrial Waste Services Branch Head.

You, or your pool service provider, must have a Wastewater Discharge Licence to drain pool water onto a street, into a ditch, or in a catch basin. The licence is valid for five years and is subject to an initial and annual renewal fee. The licence will outline terms and conditions that must be met to ensure compliance with the by-law.

The process is slightly different for salt water pools. They have high levels of sodium chloride that can harm the storm sewer, so the water cannot be drained into the catch basin. The salt water can be drained into your wastewater sewer, onto your lawn, or you can hire a licensed wastewater hauler to remove it.

Failing to follow the Sewer By-Law could result in a violation notice and fine. Anyone with questions relating to this, or the Wastewater Discharge Licence, should contact 311.

Water and Waste Homeowner, Renter, and Business info

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.